Monday, January 5, 2009

A Rant, or 3 ways Disney Channel and preteen girls are ruining 1970's glam rock



1. Ballroom Blitz as theme song for Suite Life of Zach and Cody


A song considered by most to be glam rock's anthem is thoroughly abused for the opening credits of this little television program. The lyrics are changed to accommodate the spirit of the show, namely to:

Here I am in your life,
Here you are in mine.
Yes, we have a suite life
Most of the time.
Oh dear.

2. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus and her Clones


Tall boots, feathers, tight and tacky clothing, glittery makeup and a general lack of taste are all defining features of the fashion that accompanied the glam rock music genre. Unfortunately, every person I see that is dressed like this is not trying to be purposely camp. They usually are fans of Hannah Montana



Compare:




David Bowie's Boots
Hannah Montana Brand Boots

Miley Cyrus

Marc Bolan

Mick Ronson

Miley Cyrus

Marc Bolan

Miley Cyrus

3. Misleading Movie Titles



camp - an aesthetic in which something has appeal because of its bad taste or ironic value (from the Wikipedia article)








Also, Annie tagged me, and it seemed fun so here goes.

The rules are:
.
1. Go to the 4th folder in your computer where you store your pictures.
2. Pick the 4th picture in that folder.
3. Explain the picture.
4. Tag 4 people to do the same!

Link This is my dad and I. He is a teacher, and he writes his own little math blog (I'd link it but I doubt he would appreciate it). I was trying to take a surprise picture of him.





Listening to:
I have been listening to an unhealthy healthy amount of Jesus Christ Superstar lately. Now being no exception.

"You LIAH, you Judas!"

12 comments:

Unknown said...

that first picture of miley cyrus= NO
ps the word verification word was horappe, is it a sign?

laia. said...

jesus! what is that unitard miley is wearing??? i wish i had never seen that, i am scarred forever :(

Leah P. said...

Shmiley is a pumpkin and a hoebag.

K8 said...

Miley Cyrus's outfits are kind of creepy especially as Hanna Montanna.

Human Racing said...

Great post. I've never really been a glam rock person but I definately see the connection.

Emily said...

miley cyrus is definitely rocking the camel toe, though, you have to give her that (shudder)

jesus christ superstar is the bomb
literally the unholiest of all musicals, so fucking good

Shes Dressing Up said...

Camp Rock haha.
Sometimes I get worried that I may actually be tapping my foot to a Miley Cyrus song. I feel very ashamed afterwards.

Siska said...

I´m afraid with arienette!

giggleness said...

wow. id never noticed how similarly miley dressed.
i actually dont mind miley, the pictures of her from daily life i usually think look fine. but the first picture of her in the unitard is gross. wow. ahaha

Isabel said...

Wow, that glam rock/Miley comparison is REALLY creepy. Of course the 70s o it better!

Unknown said...

Hannah Montanna.....boots?
urgh


also you would think the word rock in camp rock would actually reffer to rock music, not pop music with a tiny tiny rock edge ):

RAGGY MOGOW said...

thats a gnarly camel toe.